The plan...
The Engine

Latest updates will be posted towards the top of the page

She is done!! The engine, the most consuming part to date, is finally finsihed!!. Below is the shot of her on my deck. freshly painted. The starter still needs to be isntalled. She is now nearly fully assembled inside the boat. All that is needed to is to add the starter and replace a fuel line. Some hoses also. I will need to modify the throttle as the govenor is different and requred a stiff throttle line rather than the flexible original one. Come spring, I will adjust. I have my concerns about the mid idle vibration but all seems ormal and i may be just worrying to much. I still need to get the rubber mounts for the coupling. The set I ordered was the wrong size. No biggie.

With the boat sitting in a shed for the winter, I should not have to worry.

Getting her back into the boat went very smooth. Since our experience with getting her out, we had a clear plan to piece meal her in and I assembled on board. It was a pleasure to finally take down the rigging I created to get her out.

Oh, and as a last note, I was able to use the cam shaft from better engine. There was set screw that was stripped and I thought it would not release from purchased block but it just slipped out. Nice. Now I have better parts sitting in her.

Painted adn ready to go in. She needed to be taken apart. By this time, I could do this in my sleep.
Brother Dave helping me put engine back in. Top trolly is now ridding on a steel rail I got. Was still a bear to move but at least it did not dig into wood.
Main block. She was the heaviest part due to the flywheel. We took it one step at a time and was pretty easy. After putting her in place, i could see if I went with purchased engines flywheel, she would not fit. You can also see the govenor. It is attached to the gear closest to us in this picture. The weights are heavier and springs are much tighter than the original.

1 - The Engine -
More photos at the end of story. Link to video hereThis is a shot of the engine in the boat when we first inspected her. Looks normal, right?... NOT!!!

Of all the tasks I need to do, this one bothers me the most. As mentioned, she is seized and will not move. The previous owner had her rebuilt and I had complete faith in that it was in working order, never thinking to try and turn her when I first looked at her. After hiring a surveyor and after having invested a considerable amount already in getting her in the water and all the travel to look at her, it was only then that I discovered that she is not working.

Disappointed, I was encouraged that I heard I can pick one of these engines up for like $500.00. Not bad. After purchasing the boat, I immediately did a prolonged search for the same engine in running order. Nothing... and I mean NOTHING was out there. The closest I got was some people were selling in Europe. For like 2500.00. Little beads of sweat from panic started to form and many restless nights worrying about this.

The long cold winter did not help in that it only prolonged my anxiety. Not being able to at least poke at it was only making matters worse. I am not a fan of cold weather.

Before the winter settled in, I pulled the valve cover off. Saw some rust and feared the worst. The rocker arms would not move at all. I pulled the rocker arm assembly off and brought it to my shop. I also removed the hand crank assembly so I can get a glimpse of the cam shaft gear. That too was a completely covered in rust.

Cold weather settled in and I left her alone. The rocker arms I let soak in a rust removal solution and eventually got her freed up. I have not done anything with hand crank. I spent the next couple of months poking around the internet to search out a functioning MD1 or at least a good replacement. I came close once in that someone was selling an MD-2 for 2000.00. The footprint is much the same just a bit longer for the 2 cylinder as opposed to the one cylinder of the MD-1. i was tempted but still held hope that my engine would some how come back to life.

With the warmer weather and having completed the rudder, I started on the engine again. I seem to have less fear about pulling her apart and was aggressive in unbolting things. I decided to pull the cylinder head to expose the piston. Bolts were a little tough to get loose but I got it off. The top of the cylinder was sitting in a bath of WD-40 I sprayed in her several months ago. Seems nothing soaked down. I suspected either a really tight fit or something was blocking it. I took a mid sized sledge hammer and a piece of wood and started banging on the cylinder head. Nothing.

I then decided to remove the casing that the cylinder sits in. 4 bolts that needed persuasion but I got them off. It took some doing but she came off and the piston was completely exposed and I can feel the rest if the cylinder. Very clean. Also, the piston and arm move freely. A sign of hope. But were is she frozen?

With the cylinder casing off, I was able to get a better look at cam shaft. Nothing but rust. Lifters are hollow and they were filled with rust. Even the batch of WD did not seem to have an effect. So... What now? I tried one last thing. I somehow became the owner of a very large pipe wrench. Has to weigh at least 40lbs. I figured if I could somehow get a grip of the fly wheel, I could try to turn her. The dead weight alone would be a huge help. I found a spot and began to push. Nothing. I could have been more aggressive but I feared turning the engine and ripping her off the mounts.

The only thing left to do was to pull the whole engine. Being at the point of doing this was a bit liberating and freed me of my anxiety about pulling her apart. Anything I could unbolt, i did. Ran into trouble spots at the propeller shaft. The couplings bolts were either stripped or rusted on and could not free. I had to cut these with a hack saw.

I enlisted the help of my brother and scheduled a date to get her out. Getting her out was not going to be easy. I knew the engine was heavy and would have to rig up a trolley system to pull her up and over her side. Starting at nearly first light (my brother was due around 4pm), I started on taking her apart. Mid day I ran to Lowe's to get the materials to create the rig to get the engine out. The rig comprised a stand outside the boat and vertical post inside the boat.

I was having trouble separating the gear box from engine block so I left as is. Perhaps my rig will handle both together. We discovered that the 2x6 was not going to cut it for holding the engine over a 10' span. She had to be taken apart. In a fit of rage I got a bit mean with her and was able to separate the two. Gear box and engine block. The gear box was relatively easy but the engine block was still a lot to deal with. The issue being the flywheel. She is solid steel and weighs more than half of the engine black assembly. After several lifts and some terrifying moments, we got her over the side just clearing the side of the boat. There were moments where I thought we would drop the engine though the boat. it was and exhausting event. I gathered all the pieces and headed to my shop. Oh, when I separated the gear box from the engine block the main gears were exposed. Guess what I saw? Yep!! Tons of rust!!

I began the task of trying to free her up. On the first day I managed to get her main gears free. This was a huge relief. I got violent with her again and started to smack the engine block to see if she would move. It did. in very small increments. I determined that the rust on the gears were causing the issue. The tolerances on these engines are tight and any debris between two moving parts will cause her to stop altogether.

After taking the crank cover off (this allows you to see inside and maintain the crank and piston connecting rod), I could see a lot of rust but the main bearings looked perfect. Once I freed up the gears, the crank moved with ease and no sign of damage. This relieved my stress a bit in that I knew if I could get the rust off her, she should work.

Over the next several weeks it was a daily ritual of picking a part and knocking off the rust. Wire wheel attached to a hand drill did a majority of the work. My once pristine woodworking shop slowly got engulfed in WD-40 and rust. Nearly all my clothes are ruined. The biggest challenge was taking apart the gear box. Something I wanted to avoid but had to be done. I was lucky in that I found a shop manual online and was able to follow instruction for taking this apart. The gear box consists of 4 bearings. All were rusted and seized. They would have to be replaced. Thank God I have some people at work who were able to find the right bearings that I could purchase. The cost was lower than I thought. 2 of the bearings we had in our inventory already. With bearing on order, I continued cleaning.

Fuel pump. As much as I have studied the parts drawing for this piece, I still have no clue how it works. I just knew that it was not working. There is a sliding rack gear that has something to do with the throttle. It became obvious that the fuel pump controls the speed of engine. This little gear rack was not moving. Shocker. I made a HUGE mistake in letting it soak in rust remover. Rust remover does a great job at removing rust BUT, if you let a part soak in it to long, it starts to attack the good metal and swells it. I left the pump soaking overnight and my problems became worse because of this. I brought it into work to have my guys look at it. They loved the challenge and after several day, they got the rack moving back and forth.

Now, I want to back up a bit. I took the pump apart before I soaked it in rust remover. I am usually pretty good at tracking removed parts but I think I lost something. In the part catalogue, there is evidence of a small rubber washer that when putting the pump back together, was no longer to be found. Even when I had my guys look at it, they pointed it out also. I dismissed the missing piece in thinking "how critical can one little washer be?".

Continuing, After receiving the new bearings I got pretty good at press fitting them. Everything started to come together. Engine block, gear box, everything was now in assembly mode. I found an old small shed door in the garbage down the block from me. This and some cedar 4x4's would make a great test stand. I enlisted the help of my neighbor to get the engine black in position and completed the assembly. Once I had the hand crack attached I did some dry turns of the engine. Everything moved with ease. Next was to set up the fuel and cooling. Several purchases of hoses, clamps and fuel, I completed the test bed. Bleeding the fuel lines I was ready to crank her over.

Nothing. She would not start.

Panic started to creep in again. I knew it was either the fuel pump or the injector or both. Both items I knew little about and knew that if I screwed with them to much, I might do something that would permanently damage them. Back to the internet to look for a solution. Searching high and low for anything. Either fix or a replacement. Nothing. Depression settled in. What to do now?

I decided to call some local diesel repair places to see if they could fix. Knowing this engine is nearly 50 years old, it would be a long shot but this was the point I was at. Most responses I got was "What is it?" A type of response that lets you know they were going to be no help at all. There were several though that told me to talk to a particular outfit not far from me that specializes in these engines. I gave them a call. When I did, almost without saying a word to them, they blasted at me that they were far to busy to take on any more projects. They were 6 weeks in the hole. Feeling rejected, I did not press it. Left to search elsewhere. More calls. More responses to have this one outfit work on it. I tried to call again. I let them know that I could care less how busy they were just so I knew that at some point, my engine would be looked at. They said they would call back to schedule.
4 times I did this. 4 calls to make an appointment, 4 times they said they would call back, 4 times they did not. Annoying.

I did manage to find someone who would come to my house and take a look at her. On the day they were to show up, I was 4 days in my illness with pneumonia. I had to cancel. My wife was able to get a contact and I called him. Nice guy but was not a mechanic. I told him my plight with the this other shop that would not return my calls and he said he knew the guy personally. Had his cell phone number and was buddy buddy with him. "Great" I thought. Perhaps I will get somewhere with them. Over the next several days his efforts proved useless. Despite contacting the mechanic personally, I never got a call.

What now? I have exhausted all my options. All except one....

In my tireless search on the internet, I did come across a blog post of someone selling a seized engine. At the time, the post was well over 6 months old. I asked it was still available. It was. The posted price was a bit high and I knew it would take some convincing to get my wife on board with the idea of buying another engine that did not work. Also, the engine was up in Boston. A bit of a trip. I continued corresponding with the owner through the blog but still continuing with a local solution. Having exhausted that, I made my case to my wife. She suggested a contact the owner of the seized engine to see if they were willing to part it out. Good idea. Called owner, they were not willing. They wanted the engine to go as one piece.

Frustrated and tired of the whole ordeal, I made a stronger argument to purchase the entire engine. My wife agreed. Still sick with pneumonia, I called the owner and scheduled a trip up within 2 weeks. Being home because of the illness, I continued searching the internet. Surprisingly, I came across another blog post for the same engine that was seized also. I responded that I was interested. The owner replied saying that it was available but that someone from Long Island was interested and that in essence, I better hurry up and take it I still wanted it.

Something told me to compare this new post with the other. It was then I realized that the two posts were from the same person. Funny. I called the owner and scheduled to take a trip up a week earlier.

The trip up was uneventful. Enlisted the help of my Nephew and brought a ton of tools. We would have to take her apart to get it in my fathers mini van. We arrived sooner than expected and before owner had showed up. We searched out the engine in the boat yard and found her. Wrapped in plastic, I inspected. Nice and clean and as advertised, seized up. would not spin.

The owner showed up and she was a pure delight. full of great stories and history. She even took us out to lunch. We struck a deal and she started handing me all the loose items such as injector, wiring harness, starter, etc.. She left us to do our work and we got busy. Upon separating the engine in half, I got a chance to see the inside gearing. I could tell this engine has never had to be taken apart. Everything looked brand new.

Getting home I planned a 1 night layover in Mystic. Nephew wanted to get home so we pressed on and took the shortcut Pert Jeff ferry. It was a nice break. Unloaded the beast and got my nephew home. Next day I could not wait to get started. All night I thought about what parts to swap and may my decision Sunday. I took the quick and dirty route and just swapped out the injector section of engine. It was a hot day and I could only do so much. Waited till early evening before finishing up. With her finally together (done sooner than expected) I decided to hook up water and fuel "just to see".

Although I had the electric starter hooked up, I would have to drive the Jeep down into backyard to use. By this time I was pretty exhausted and the thought of hand cranking was nearly out of the question. Anticipation got the better of me and decided to give it a go. With fuel in the line and bled of air (I used her injector). All that was needed was to crank her over. Pulling the decompression lever, I spun her up. Not to hard, I was tired. Thought the decompression lever and she spat out a little cloud of black smoke and stopped.

Now, I should tell you that in all the hand cranking and electric starter sessions I performed, I NEVER saw black smoke. Just puffs of clouds from the compression cycle.

I digress.. With this vision of black soot surrounding my engine, My heart raced. The adrenaline rush pushed any weakness aside and I set the decompression lever once again and spun the hand crank with the will of three men. Getting her up to speed I threw the lever. Bam,.... Bam....bam, ..bam, bam, bam, bam she kicked over and was running on her own. A mighty cloud of soot & smoke filled the breezeless evening and in my euphoria I stood over the running engine, raised my arms, tightened every muscle in my body and with my head pointed to the heavens, let out one of the most primal of screams. One cannot imagine. Four times in a row I did this. The last one I flexed like a concurring barbarian over the last dying Roman soldier.

By the end of my last victory scream, my wife had finally made it outside and promptly scolded me for scarring the living daylights out her. She thought I lost a limb. I thought for sure at least several neighbors were calling 911 thinking the worst at the Kleisler residence.

I only let her run for a short time. I knew I had a lot of debris in her block. As much as I tried, I could not get all the rust and crap out. I knew it would take several flushes of clean oil before I felt comfortable with her running for any duration. Shutting her down I was quick to start her up again. Just to see if I could. And she did not disappoint. After the 4th time, I could not get her started again. The adrenaline rush was gone and I was exhausted. The next day she kicked over and knew it was just me.

Now what? The running state of the engine was not ideal. I liked the new engine I got for the condition of the gears. The main block looked really clean. Obviously, I was going to use the throttle and fuel pump housing from her engine. The gear box on hers spun really nice and if the main block was any indication, the gear box was in pristine condition also. So, why not just use her engine? Several reasons. One, she was seized. After taking her head off the day of transport, I could tell that the head gasket gave way and allowed water into piston cylinder. Getting her free was going to take some doing. Second, although the gear box was better than mine, I knew that there was an issue with the shifting. She would not hold in one of the positions (either forward or reverse). It appeared the linkage on her craft used the shifter to hold her in gear rather than it resting correctly in the right position. It appeared to be designed this way.

I spent the next day thinking about how to configure this and decided to do the following; Use as much of her engine as possible. To do so, I would have to un seize it & solve the issue with the gear box. First task was her piston. Removing it, I began to work on freeing it. It would not budge. I tried to be as careful as possible but the usual method of hammer and wood block were not going to do it. I had to get more aggressive. The upshot after several hours of effort was I had to position piston cylinder between logs and persuade the piston with more than a couple of mighty blows from a 50ld pipe wrench. It was not pretty. I put several dents in the piston itself and some scaring on the piston block. Although free, I was going to have to use my original piston and piston block. I started to disassemble my original engine.

Wanting to ensure that I used the same piston rod, I had to take that apart on both. Mine actually took some persuasion to get apart. hers was easy. Got my piston on newer piston rod. I then realized that on my piston, one of the rings was rusted to piston. Next day I ordered new piston rings and a head gasket. Now, remember earlier in my story about the place I called 4 times and 4 times they never called back? Well, I decided to call them. I thought that since I am just ordering parts, this would be a relatively simple task, not requiring the call back I would never get. For the first time, a guy picks up the phone. Low and behold, it is the actual owner. The guru of Volvo Penta's is the one I am talking to. I immediately start in on my story of how I was trying to get him to work on my engine. Seems he has been battling a severe blood infection and could never get back to me. I told him that I was at a point where all I needed was a fuel pump repair and it could be done sometime down the road since I had a good one now.

I placed my order for a new set of piston rings and a head gasket. I should expect the week of 7/19/15.

On 7/18 and the week prior, I started to dismantle and switch all parts I want. Hopefully, by 7/25/15 I will have it all together. I will still test on my deck and perform several flushes of oil before I have to take it apart again to get her back in the boat. I am hoping that I can get the new flywheel off this block. It will make the install a bit easier in getting her over the rail of the boat in the contraption rig I came up with to get her out.

One, and I hope the only one, is that I notice that the new engines flywheel is thicker than the engine that came with boat. The added size adds about 1-1.5 inches to her length and where the flywheel sits in the boat there is very little room at all. I may be forced to alter either the propeller shaft length to move engine to the rear or, alter the floor boards and some framing.

Seems I am better with wood than I am with engines. :-)

I will post pictures of engine in boat when I have it done. Thank you Jesus for your provision.

The rig I created to get engine out

More rig details notice the trolly. Did not work as planned but it did the job.

Engines location after removal. You can see how dangerous a game I am playing with that 2x4 resting on the edge of engine mount.

Fitting a new gasket. Shot of gear housing and throttle and govoner housing.

Same as above. See all the pitting? This is after I cleaned it. It was really bad.

Shot of govoner, main drive, cam gear with fuel pump cam. Again, notice all the pitting?

A shot inside the main block looking towards the bottom. Engine is on her side.

Cleaned and flushed parts ready for assembly. Piston block on right, Gear box housing on right. Rocker arm with decompression lever on top.

Her head lived in a bath of PB blaster for at least a week.

Cleaned parts area. Every item I cleaned and inspected I put in this area.

Part of gear box. Hold two bearings I pressed myself. :-)

Test stand and partially assembled.

Another shot. Missing exhaust manifold, injector and throttle. Starter also.

Just a different angle.

One more...

"New" engine ready for me to take apart to take home.