August work

Although this was added at the same time the "end of season" page was created, I wanted to keep it separate. It is the tale of additional work on the boat that does not involve the engine (mostly).

I consider the beginning of August as the "true" start of working on the boat. All the time previous was dedicated to the engine. In hind site, I should have been doing the things I list below since the onset of warmer weather. At my age I know myself a bit better and it is nearly impossible for me to do multiple tasks at the same time. If I am working on the engine, that is all I will work on. I liken it to a meal. I have to finish the meat before I can eat the vegetables and I have to finish the vegetables before I can each the mashed potatoes. There is absolutely no cross over during one event. I need to get the first item done before I can move on to the next.

Cabin Top

That being said, as soon as the engine was done, I started on the actual boat. Fearing the bottom prep most of all, I decided to start from the top and work my way down. The cabin top leaked badly and she needed to be sealed up. The cabin top was painted with a non skid additive. Sand basically that allowed you to walk across her when she was wet to get to the bow. I was not liking this. I was not liking the hand rail either. They were weathered and the varnish was coming off. The method used to fasten her to the cabin was a bit of a put off for me in that lag bolts were used and the crowns were visible. Lacked the style I wanted and although functional, it looked unprofessional. I proceeded to remove all the fittings including the hatch. Sanding her down was tough in the 90 deg. weather and the rough texture was a bit of a chore to take down.

I sanded nearly to the wood and I can see that there was several layers of paint. I then scrapped out some of the bad seams that looked either real dry or where there was visible space. Re-calked with a flexible black and sanded down after cure. Whole top would be painted white. Was not liking the cream color. We have had no rain at all since I got this done and I did not to run a hose on her to test. We will see how I did when she is out of shed come spring time.

Cabin Sides

The cabin sides are split and I was curious to see what was under her paint. It being so late in season and wanting to get her in, my repairs for this section will need to wait a year but perhaps I can do a quick fix that will at least shore her up till them. After removing the side port holes, I could see the damage more clearly. Not that bad but I know this will quickly be an issue. Previous owner used what I believe is bondo to patch and keep her stable. I did see two spots where small patches of dry rot have formed. I decided to leave as is and deal with it next season. So long as I restrict my walking on her cabin, she should be fine for one more year. Belt sanded her smooth and puttied in the cracks. Removed all previous calking. Scrapped down portholes and replaced. This will keep her dry for at least the season.

Foward Hatch

Forward hatch. Top is teak wood and varnished. The varnish is flaking off. Teak bleeds off an oil and nothing will stick to it for long. Forget about the synthetic teak you see on glass boats these days. Real teak colors to a bluish gray and is the best wood for a deck. She is never perfectly smooth so when it is wet you still have some grip. I scrapped as much off as possibly could with a putty knife. Most of it is gone but small patches remain. I am going to let it leach off over time and not sand it out. The frame the teak sits on is of an unknown wood and is varnished. The varnish needs to be done. Will do in spring. The hatch is in two halves and is fitted by a piano hinge. Being the deck is curved, she does not close properly as the hinges starts to bind. Tis will need to be replaced. Again, outside of the scrapping, I will need to get this done next spring.

Deck Rails

Her starboard side rail is really dry. The water escapes are not positioned correctly and it seams that some water has seeped in. A lot of the paint comes off real easily and the rail is loose. Not in a position physically or mentally to deal with this, I decide to add additional screws to hold her in place and seal her up. This rail needs to be strong because it is the only way to ensure my footing does not slip out from me when walking to the bow (if I am not walking on the cabin). The port side is in great shape. The fix would be to mill some new ones and replace. It may require some steam bending and given the time frame I had, was not going to play with this just yet. Fall and winter I will build a steam box and play around.


The mast has some slight issues. The structure is in great shape but the varnish is all but gone on her stern side. The sail track is all gummed up with varnish. This happens. to pull the track off each season to put a fresh coat of varnish on her is time consuming. Most of the time you would hit it with a quick sanding and varnish over. This fills in over time and can cause raising the main sail a bit problematic if the build up interferes with the sail fittings. Since the mast was the first item I started working on, I decided to pull all the fittings off and sand her down as much as possible. i was not going to remove all the varnish but a decent amount. Pulling off the track involved removing at least 100 small brass screws. The track is made of three sections. The track is bronze and at the ends of each one the track is bent and does not lay down correctly. Seems the screws were forcing it in place. I would do my best to flatten them out on reassembly.

With the exposed wood I decided to coat with linseed oil. This may have been a mistake. All the bare spots nearly went black. Not sure why. Regardless, each day I was there I ended my work that evening by giving her a coat of varnish. Light sanding between each coat. Varnishing outside has its pitfalls in that any coat you put down could trap a bug or two. Or, if you do not time it right, rain will ruin all your work. I was lucky in that every day was dry and perfect for this operation. I had one day where water stains appeared but I was able to sand out and coat over. She looks good and is fit for next season.


Working on her hull above the waterline. I scrapped as much of the loose paint as possible. The build up of coats made sanding her smooth nearly impossible. One of these years I will take her down to the wood and do it properly. For now, I just wanted the wood protected and to not have her flaking during the next season. I dis purchase seam compound for her top sides. Filled all gaps, which were pretty tight already, and waited for it to dry a bit before painting. The seam compound is known for staying very pliable all the time and never hardens to allow sanding. Sealing her it was not to "fair" her out but just to fill the gaps. I had some old top side paint but the instructions said it takes for ever for it ot dry. I tested a small section but it was an off white in appearance and did not like it. i went with a latex just to coat.

The paint I had does a nice job of covering and masking other colors. I decide to white out everything and detail later. To hold to a paint line would be tough and time consuming. I can add detail later when pressure was off. The objective was to make sure she had no exposed wood. Luckily, I did have time to detail and Fanny was able to help. We got her olive trim done on her hull and on cabin.


On the day Fanny came with me, I brought out the rudder I had created. There are three hinges and two were fitted already. Had one last one to do. I am not thrilled with how the bolts I used looked and will want to come up something else but she looks good hanging off her stern. I messed up a little on the waterline color as well as the angle. I will let it go for now.


Although the engine was ready to go in from the start of me working on the boat itself, I did not get it done till nearly the end. I wanted desperately to knock down the rig I created to get the engine out but needed it up to get it in. The rig is a one off and I could not take it down till engine was in. Scheduling time for my brother to come over was difficult. Once we got it in, I was more than happy to tear the rig down into a pile of wood.

When I got the engine finally running, I noticed that at a lower RPM she has a violent shake to her. My fear was she would shake the boat apart at that RPM and try to discover if this was normal for the engine. I asked around but I could not get a decent answer from anyone. mostly due to the date of the engine itself. I poured over several videos of this engine on YouTube to see if other peoples engine had the same "shake". Seems they do also.

Never the less, I decided to install some make shift mounts to soften the vibration going to the hull. It required a purchase of some low durometer rubber and making a relief cut in her current mounts. When installing the main block, she sat in nicely and the rubber pads should help. We will see. i will try to stay away from the RPM that causes the vibration but to get to a higher RPM, the engine needs to push through it.


Moving day. I scheduled Thursday the 3rd to move her. That previous weekend I cleaned up the boat and started tying her down. Got her mast on board as well. Got the boom inside her cabin. Morning of, I checked the lines again and added a new one to be safe. Waited for mover to show up. All went without a hitch really. I could not bear to ride behind the boat on her trip to her winter resting place. Read all about it on End of season" link.

She will sit in a shed for the duration of this year and a couple of months into 2016. One I feel it is warm enough, I will have her put in the yard so i can work on her. The yard does not allow people to work on there boats in the shed. Although they will let some do stuff, do not want to take advantage and will wait till she is outside.

Mast. With sail track removed. You can see the build up in the track area. Also, this is BEFORE sanding. A lot of bare wood that needs to be covered.
More of her mast twards the top
Her port side with portholes removed. Some sanding has been done. you can see the crack line behind the glass jar of varnish. The green is a type of silicone sealer for the porthole.
A better shit. You can see the brownish stuff. That, I believe, is bondo. Ilft most of it intact adn just smoothed out a bit. At this point I was still thinking I could get her in the water for spell. Did not want to prolong by seriously addressing this issue.
Fanny at her bow scrapping the loose paint. There were several coats coming off at once that exposed the bare wood. This left some pitting and to sand her smooth would almost require a complete paint removal. The objectie was to have paint that was sticking to her. Perfect fairing would be a blessing but not required. This is the only close shot I have of the starboard cabin wall. Not as bad as the port but spit non the less.
Most of her cabin fittings removed. Engin install/removal rig still in place. Waiting till my brotehr is available to help out. The engine cover is at the far left on the grapund. Madea nice reat area to put loose screws and other do-dads. Nice shady spot for breaks.
Cabin top. Fittings removed and sanded as par as i am willing to go. I wanted at least the seams exposed to allow me to replace bad sections. I removed the worst sections adn replaced with new black calking. Had to wait a day or two before I could sand down and paint.
End of each work day I would take a shot like this. Her cabin has been painted and at leat the olive trim on her hull is covered.
Close up. The white patches are putty fill and I think I have new screws in already on side rail. Cabin has at least one coat of white on her. Hull is sanded for paint to grip.
With the mast finally varnished, I started to put her rigging back on. you can see the dark tracks where linseed oil dicolored her. She is sealed though and water tight. Short of creating a new mast, this is what she will look like. Functional and stable, but not to pretty.
Portholes back in place. Rudder hnging on her stern. Still need to add bottom hinge. I think the hull is painted in this shot. Got the rails and cleats on her cabin top also.
Fully painted above the water line. I was waffeling on what I was going to do with olive trim area. In the interest of time, I decide to paint it the same. I think a thin venier of a varnished dark wood would look really nice.
Rudder hung. Last hing needs to be installed.
The day Fanny was with me I was able to get in the shot. If you look at the bottom, you can see several pieces of wood wedged in between her trailer rail and the hull. The trailer rail is supporting the hull but at a point where there is an exteriour fitting on the hull. This is creating an unwanted pressure point and is dforming the wood. One of the main reasons I want her off the trailer.
The two women in my life.
Tied up and ready to go. You can see the last hing in place on rudder.
Ler departure. Tom transport took her slow out of the driveway. I was just getting over my 4th panic attack before we left. I could not bare to watch her traveling down the highway at 55mph.
At the baot yard!!
Tom getting her settled in her spot for the day. They would later mover her indoors. The baot yard is very close to where I work. I could walk to my office from here.
What a contrast to the boat next to her.
I got to boat yard just as they were closing up for the night and the owner was kind enough to let me in to seee her. If there was ever a spot I wanted her outside of the water, this was it. Front and center at the shed doors with a nice view of the canal she would eventually be launched into.
The view from shed windows.
In the shed ready for being placed in her winter spot. She will be off the trailer and properly supported. Having used all by days off this year, it will be dificult to get to her before spring of next year. I am having seperation issues. With her so close to work, I want to visit her every day but shed rules and yard hours are prohibitive. Just as well. I need to concentrate on getting her paper work straightened out to get her in a proper slip next year.